The majesty of sailing vessels combines with Maritime music and local cuisine when the Rendez-Vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta makes its way to a variety of Nova Scotia ports of call this summer.
Between June 30 and Aug. 16, the craft will visit 10 port communities, including Sydney, Louisbourg, St. Peter's, Port Hawkesbury, Pictou, Pugwash, Halifax, Lunenburg, Shelburne and Digby, with a sail past Annapolis Royal, in the Annapolis Basin.
Halifax events from July 29 to Aug. 1, including a free waterfront concert with Natalie MacMaster and Symphony Nova Scotia, and a family picnic day on McNabs Island, have already been announced, and now events across the province are being scheduled.
- Port Hawkesbury features concerts with Matt Minglewood, Port Cities and the Barra MacNeils, June 30 to July 2
- Pictou hosts a Canada Day wake-up call with fireworks, followed by breakfast and daylong celebrations, June 30 to July 2
- Pugwash celebrates with a soapbox derby and recycled boat races as part of Pugwash Harbourfest, June 30 to July 2
- Sydney hosts free concerts including Matt Minglewood and a fiddling ceremony Aug. 4 to 6
- Louisbourg's annual crab fest celebration also coincides with tall ships, Aug. 4 to 6
- St. Peter's holds a Mi'kmaq-themed evening, Acadian dinner and a costume ball by the canal, Aug. 4 to 6
- Lunenburg celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic with music, including a special tribute to Jim Pittman, Aug. 10 to 12
- Shelburne hosts a Darren Hudson lumberjack show featuring axe-throwing, Aug. 14 to 15
- Digby features a culinary pavilion with scallop shucking demonstrations, historical storytelling, and two days of music and arts, Aug. 15 to 16
- Annapolis Royal presents a free evening concert with J.P. Cormier, plus a Bluenose II-led sailpast and fireworks on Aug. 16.
For a full list of events, go to the Discover the Wonder website where you can also take part in a social media contest with four Nova Scotia travel prize packages and one Legendary Nova Scotia Experience grand prize.
Organizers are also looking for volunteers to participate in Rendez-Vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta events. Anyone who's interested can put their name forward at https://register.eSourceEvent.